Thursday, March 22, 2012

I must share my thoughts on the Trayvon Martin shooting. I've been following the news in print and on TV for a couple of weeks. I first read about the shooting on my computer. Alone in my living room. I cried. I cried for Trayvon. I cried for his family. I cried for us.

I couldn't believe that we are in 2012 with a Black president, and this s.... is still going on. But I do believe it. Because I know I still live in America... the shinning light on the hill with the dark under belly of racism. My heart ached for Trayvon and his family. I was heart broken. He was just a baby. To me he looked like an angel.

From the beginning, the story the police told did not seem right. It never does. How can you not question someone who just shot and killed someone else? How can you not take the gun away? How can you not take the bloody clothes? How can you not detain at least overnight an admitted killer? Even if he said it was self-defense, he admitted to killing Trayvon. What is going on?

I have a 22 year old son. I've lived with fear in my heart for years every time he goes out with friends. Besides the normal fears of parents that your child will get hurt or not come home. I worry about him getting stopped for no reason other than being Black. He has been pulled over by the police. You worry that he will assert his rights and become offended at being accused of something without probable cause and give the police a reason to get rough or beat them. We do still live in America. It's not unreasonable to imagine these things happening. I think about Trayvon and I know he could have been my son.

Besides the sadness, this makes me extremely angry. I think America doesn't have any idea of how incredibly angry we are. They let that boy lie in the morgue for three days without notifying his family. They let the family anguish over where their son was and if he was safe for THREE DAYS! He died 70 yards from home. He could see his back door. I'm tired of our society devaluing our sons. Every man on this planet has a mother. Every mother's son is an incredible gift. A joy to behold. A Blessing.

I am so proud of the way the community has stood up to protest this injustice. I guess this was the "straw." We have had enough. I'm proud of every one who has joined this fight. This is a fight. We have to stand for what is right and what is just. This is neither. If we want change, we have to be the change we want to see. Support the organizations that fight and advocate for us. Support the radio and TV hosts that take up this fight. Participate! And most importantly VOTE! Vote like you life depended on it... it does.

No comments: